- 350g/ 12 oz shredded cabbage – one that cooks reasonably quickly.
- 350g/12 oz grated or spiralised carrots – equal in quantity to the cabbage
- A hot green chilli, de-seeded and cut into long strips
- A generous dollop of coconut oil
- 1 tbspn black mustard seeds
- Grated ginger to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Chopped fresh coriander
- A squeeze of lemon juice.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan. When hot, put the mustard seeds in. They should make a popping noise pretty quickly. Then add the carrots, cabbage and chilli.
- Turn the heat down and stir about for a minute or so to coat the vegetables with the oil.
- Add some salt, a dash of sugar and cook for about 4 minutes, until the vegetables are nearly done.
- Add the coriander leaves, stir about and cook for another couple of minutes, at which point the vegetables are just cooked, but still a tiny bit crisp.
- Add the lemon juice, stir about and have a taste. Add more salt and or sugar if needed.
A very easy recipe which goes with the onion-less meat curry. If cooking this for a bunch of friends, the vegetables could be prepped before hand, and the mustard seeds measured out, so the dish can be prepared just before serving, even if a little wine has been drunk…..
It is not a precise recipe. Just aim for roughly equal quantities of cabbage and carrots and adjust the rest according to taste.
Here is a link to the Wiki page on black mustard.