Nothing beats a bowl of steaming soup in the grey days of winter. It is very easy to make a vegetable soup using vegetables and water or, even better, home made stock, and this beats the socks of anything you can buy pre-prepared.
Carrots make a lovely soup.
- Chop up an onion,
- Sweat it in a large saucepan in a good dollop of olive oil or butter.
- Scrub up some carrots – maybe 500gm for 1 – 1.5ltrs of water.
- Chop them into pieces.
- Add to saucepan along with water or home made stock.
- Cook until done, blend, salt and serve.
- Carrots go well with things like cumin – so ground cumin seeds could be added at the sweating onion stage. The classic soup is carrot and coriander. So for this add ground coriander seeds to the sweaty onions and at the end of the cooking process add some fresh coriander leaves, chopped up small, if there are any to hand. Another thing that would work well is adding the zest of an organic orange plus the juice at the end of the cooking.