The commando crawl is an excellent ab exercise to do, since it trains all of the abdominal muscles, so will lead to a slimmer waist if done well. Main points:
- Keep the back nice and long and look straight down at the floor.
- Try to keep the bottom in line with the shoulders. If it is higher than the shoulders, it makes the exercise easier – and is a way of cheating.
- Move from the ankles, not the knees. Lift out of your shoulders to engage shoulder stabilisers and not just sag there.
- Opposite limbs move together.
- Imagine you are crawling through a narrow tube to reduce side to side and up and down movement. The more you move without wobbling about, the more the abs engage.
- For best effect, tie a piece of string tightly about the narrowest part of the waist and sing loudly. This helps engage the abs properly and stops you just gripping your abs and/or holding your breath. If not singing, breathing is normal.
- If you can’t stand the feeling of a piece of string around your waist – or find you can’t draw inwards from it easily, then this is a sure sign your abs are not working properly. Give up the gluten and things will improve.
- Go both ways – forwards and backwards.