- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2.5cm/1″ cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 2 onions
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- chilli powder to taste
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 500g/ 1lb cubed chicken/turkey
- Celtic sea salt
- About 3 Kaffir lime leaves, torn up.
- 2 tsp chopped coriander leaves to serve
Serves 2 -3.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the cinnamon, bay leaves and cloves and cook for a minute or two until scent released. Add the onions and cook for about 5 mins until the onions are soft. Stir them about from time to time.
- Add the chicken or turkey, mix well, then add 350ml/12floz water. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 15 – 30 mins or until the chicken or turkey is cooked through. About 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the Kaffir lime leaves and give a good stir.
- Check the seasoning, serve up and sprinkle over the coriander leaves.
A very tasty, simple recipe that could be done with stewing chicken or turkey. Or chicken thighs could be chopped up, if they still have the bones, it will make the stew even tastier. Or leftovers could also be used; in this case, were I able to eat onions, I would cook the onions for longer than 5 minutes at the start and the stew would be ready 15 mins max.