Red Split Lentils
Celtic Sea Salt
- Soak the lentils overnight or all day. Then drain and rinse.
- Grate or dice the ginger to taste
- Put the lentils and ginger into a thick bottomed saucepan and add water to about half a centimetre above them.
- Cover pan and bring to a boil. When the water starts boiling, it will rise and may burst out under the lid and make a big mess on top of the cooker – so hang about the kitchen during this part.
- Lower the heat and leave to bubble away for at least half an hour. You can leave it even longer – place a heat diffuser under the pan if you are using gas.
- Eventually the lentils turn into a mush. Now add the coconut oil. Be generous. Coconut oil is good for you and not fattening. Also add the chilli pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir it all about vigorously and leave for another 5 minutes or so.
Of course other indian type spices can be added, eg cumin, turmeric, cardamon etc.
I use filtered water. Tap water is chlorinated and still has the remnants of such pharmaceuticals as the pill and cancer drugs in it.