- 2 Plaice fillets, about 200 g/7 oz each
- 2 x 57 g pots of potted shrimps
- 2 generous pinches of ground mace
- 1 generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbspn dry vermouth
- 1 tbspn fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Empty the shrimps into a small frying pan and melt the butter. Take off the heat and spoon some of the butter into a frying pan.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and fry in a big frying pan 5 -6 mins until opaque and just brown.
- Whilst this is going on, put the shrimps back on the heat, add the mace, cayenne and salt. When the butter sizzles add the vermouth, let it bubble for 1 min, remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- When the plaice is cooked, bung onto a warm serving plates and spoon over the shrimp sauce.
- Serve with spinach and either mashed cauliflower or mashed potato.
Adapted from Delia Online. She butters, seasons, then grills the plaice.
As someone who cannot eat dairy, I make this with little brown shrimps if I can find them, otherwise I’ll use ordinary small shrimps/prawns. I’ll use either clarified butter or olive oil instead of the butter found in potted shrimps.