This is a recipe that makes brown rice digestible and removes the anti-nutrients, the phytates, from brown rice without the need for long soaking. The recipe is from Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon.
- 2 cups/7 oz/200 g long-grain brown rice.
- 2 tbspn/1 0z/30 ml organic butter
- 2 tbspn/1 oz/30 ml organic olive oil
- 3 cardamon pods
- 4 cups/2 pints/1 lt chicken stock
- ½ tspn Celtic sea salt.
- In a heavy casserole, melt the butter and oil together.
- Open the cardamon pods and add seeds to the oils.
- Sauté rice in the oils, stirring constantly, until the rice turns milky.
- Pour in the liquid, add salt and bring to a rolling boil. Boil, uncovered for about 10 mins until the water has reduced to the level of the rice.
- Reduce flame to the lowest heat, cover tightly and cook for at least 1 ½hours or as long as 3 hours. Do not remove the lid during cooking.
To make coconut rice, use 2 cups/1 pint/½ lt coconut water or 7oz/200g melted creamed coconut as part of the cooking liquid. Yum. And coconut is very good for us.