- About 1kg/2lb casserole pork, chopped into lumps if necessary.
- 100g/4 oz prunes, chopped up
- 4 tblspns olive oil
- 2 tsp ground mace
- 2 tsp crushed juniper berries
- 500g/1 lb tomatoes, de-seeded and chopped
- 150ml/¼ pint Pernod or similar
- Zest of 1 orange (or lemon)
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in an flameproof casserole over a medium heat, then add the mace, stirring about for about a minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. If cooking over gas, I’d put the pan over a heat diffuser.
- Cook for 1½ – 2 hours, until the meat is tender.
This can be cooked in the oven – useful if you want to do jacket potatoes or a baked squash with it. If so, cook it in an oven heated to about 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.