- 1lb/450 g asparagus
- 6 oz/175 g shelled young peas
- 6 oz/175 g shelled young broad beans
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbspn wholegrain mustard
- ½ tsp runny honey (oh dear, having been so rude about runny honey in previous blogs. Given that the salad is warm, you could use proper solid honey and heat it up a little so it gets a bit runny.)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 oz/110 g rocket.
- Wash the asparagus and snap off the woody stems.
- Blanch with the peas and beans in boiling salted water for 2 mins, or until just tender.
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and honey and seasoning in a screw top jar and shake until well combined.
- Drain the veggies and toss them in the dressing whilst still warm.
- Serve on a bed of rocket.
Recipe by Elain Lemm and can be found on Britishfood.about.com.
Other vegetables could be substituted for the peas and beans. Also frozen peas and beans could be used since there is strong argument that these are fresher than those bought in the shops. And it certainly saves on podding time.
For health reasons, it is best to buy organic wherever possible.